NOTE: If you are interested in any of the featured apps, scroll to the bottom and you will find all the links!
Everybody agrees that times are tough and of course we all know shopping for mom can have its challenges. So why not mix modern day technology with a little nostalgia from the old Kindergarten days and give mom a special app she will enjoy for a long time and wrap it up in a little craft project. I assure you, she will love you going the extra mile.
With over 500 thousand apps in the App Store alone you are bound to find something for everybody. And come on now! You know you can’t beat the prices. The average app costs less than your average cup of coffee.
On a side note, as our friends at KinderTown have pointed out, it’s Teachers Appreciation Week and this craft would be perfect for that very special teacher in your little one’s life!
OK, now comes the fun part!
After deciding which apps you are going to give mom, assemble the following tools and materials:
- Printer (preferably full color)
- Card Stock: this is the best type of paper for it’s sturdiness. You can find many options at your local craft or office supply store.
- Glue: craft glue and regular white glue
- Markers or pens
- Skewers or Popsicle sticks: you can find these at your local supermarket or craft store.
- Get the icons for the gifted apps: The appropriate way to gift an app for this type of project would be to select the “print” option instead of the email option. As you can see from this post on gottabemobile.com, when you select the print option, it will compose a card that will contain the icon for the app you are gifting and the redeem code. You can use the print to PDF option and then use your favorite photo editing software to crop the icons and put them all on a single page.
- Print out the icons on a sheet of card stock: For the best results, you should print the icons in color. Normal quality is fine. And make sure to choose card stock from the paper type choices.
- After you cut out all the icons with a pair of scissors, turn them over and write down the redeem code for the corresponding app. You could also write down a nice message representing what your mom means to you.
- Lay out the icons unto a pretty flower. Just eyeball it to your liking, it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Make sure the last one you lay out has it’s left corner on top of the left icon and the right corner at the bottom of the right icon
- Take out one of the icons and add some glue to the bottom right corner on the front. Flip it over and add glue to the bottom right corner on the back. You will now have 3 connected icons.
- Take out the next icon to the left and follow the same procedure as before.
- Follow the same procedure with the remaining icons
- Take the skewer or Popsicle stick add a dab of white glue and glue it to the back of your flower.
- And voila! Your final product!
If you are interested in the apps featured in the craft, they are all proud members of Moms with Apps. You can download them all at the App Store:
Pesky reminders: please do not reproduce without our written consent. All photographs are copyright Anahelena Natera.